Sunday, March 11, 2007

Who's in Charge Anyway?

The adventure begins with not feeling well. Sudden dizziness and then comes the fall or your words come out as if they'd gone through a verbal blender all mashed up and unintelligent. Not a pretty sight. It gets better when those around me become concerned and call for help. Ambulance and Emergency Medical Services arrive. Even the Police depending on the day and situation.

At the hospital a team is forming, waiting to take you in. There's doctors, nurses and lab staff. MRI department is there for me. This is a lot of people and if their not there well I'm in a lot of trouble. Imagine this is a car crash. I'm the driver and I've lost steering control and the brakes don't work. To add to it I'm headed for a wall. A nice solid immovable stone wall. The staff is there to try to stop me from hitting that wall or at least lessen the blow.

This is a “Battle Stations Moment” in the life of Me. So I again ask “Who's in charge Anyway”? Well there's so many the choose from and if any of them makes a mistake the consequences will affect me for the rest of my life if I get to have one after all is said and done.

On the positive side there's all these people with me and my problem's on their minds. On the negative side there's me and my problem. If I can't move or communicate with all these people how can I find out who's to in charge and who I can turn to?

Time to turn to “Stroke Logic”. Communication lines are down between myself and the rest of the world. Power lines are down too because all sorts of things aren't working. My entire left side of my body which includes one side of my tongue. Can't talk so I can't converse. I'm on my own like a person lost in the woods. Time to turn to the only one I can chat with and yes it's me!

Logically I'm in charge. Logically I need to realize my resources are the people around me and use them to best advantage which is what they'd like me to do anyway. It's easy to just give up and let the people around me be in charge but it won't get me to where I want to be. This survivor wants to be better, a lot better.

I have all the raw material with these people so what is left is “The Plan”. Without a plan I wouldn't know how to gauge my progress. A plan required a beginning, a middle and and end just like a story. Knowing you're at the beginning I can then plan the middle. The middle is all the steps I have to take to approach the end.

In the end my recovery will be what I want it to be and in a way I want it to happen. The best part is my recovery was what I wanted it to be and in a way I wanted it to happen. Bonus round is that I'm still in charge!

No comments: