Thursday, March 15, 2007

Painting Your Life

My father, uncles and my grandfather were all house painters. I started painting professionally at the tender age of 12. Dad fired me after 4 hours on my first job because I was bothering the men. Apparently I was talking too much and the men couldn't get anything done. Little did they know I'd become a radio announcer after high school.

The next summer I was 13 and Dad hired me again. I worked for 10 cent an hour the first year and went up to 25 cent the next year. Baring 2 weeks vacation I worked all summer. Never thought of what it was like to play all summer long in my teens. I had lots of fun in the evenings because I had lots of money.

Those summers I didn't know how much I'd learned till latter in life. Values that would stay with me through good times and challenges. My teachers were my Dad's men. Each painter added something to my life like the painter who taught me how to “Cut In”. If you're saying to yourself what's “Cutting In” let me help you out.

“Cutting In”is painting all the corners and edges of the ceiling and the walls. You do this before you roll the walls with, yes a paint roller. I was taught to do it the right way. No choice in the matter because Dad told the men to treat me like any new painter. Drat I couldn't get away with anything.

The painter who taught me was Santa Claus. Really. I'm not kidding. My father was a member of the Moose Lodge, a service club. Every Christmas the whole family would go to the lodge for the children's party and of course Santa would give out presents to all the kids. Santa had a real red nose, white hair and I knew him all my life. He was a painter who's name was Ray Bennett and he taught me to “Cut In”. When you've been taught by Santa you do it the right way!

My lessons included being told not to “Dry Brush”. Get enough paint on the brush so you don't have to do it a second time. Concentrate to make the edge line straight. Finally don't stop till the room is done. If I didn't commit to doing the job right not only would I not get the work done but I would be holding up everyone else.

Are you “Dry Brushing” your life? Not fully committed to getting what you want done? Skipping steps by rolling without cutting in? Time to ask yourself, "What do you want out of your life?" You're the painter,"What do you want the room to look like?"

I had a stroke and you may have had one too. You may have had a brain injury or are just mentally feeling lost. Take some advice for Santa Claus, don't dry brush and concentrate. If you do the line will be straight and the job wouldn't have to be done again.

Paint your life so you don't paint yourself into a corner!

No comments: